[Ilwis] (no subject)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Ilwis] (no subject)

César Capinha

Just curious on how it goes the development of the new 3.8 version...

I'm looking forward to have some of the features being implemented in this version…

Cheers and keep up the good work,

César

http://ilwis.forum.52north.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Ilwis] (no subject)

Martin Schouwenburg

Hi,

Ilwis 3.8 is growing nicely. It has/ will have a long set of new features mainly on the visualization part of ILWIS though other parts have also been extended. I am considering to put a video on YouTube illustrating the capabilities of the new version. As they are graphic and often dynamic simple words don’t do justice to all the things possible. Below is a (probably incomplete) list of things added/changed in ILWIS 3.8

·         Visualization

o   OpenGL based so overall faster performance.

o   Transparency options at many levels and for many objects/layers within the visualization(s)

o   Rasters of different shapes/size/coordinate systems etc.. can be combined in the same visualization

o   Interactive representations for value maps. You can adapt the coloring and boundary scheme on the fly( you have to see probably to understand what I mean).

o   Interactive stretching. Stretching a map interactively by using some slider control(s)

o   Point symbolization based on a (sub-set of)  SVG

o   Animations

§  Totally revised. An animations is now a layer in mapwindow which acts in all respects as a normal layer(e.g with regard to the above properties, but also others). The only difference is, is “moves” (well the content).

§  Detailed control over speed and frames within the animation

§  Synchronization between different animations if desired.

§  Works on both index based animations as on animations which has real date-time information (seel also below).

o   3D

§  All mapwindows have a 3D view with full camera movement that works with a simple checking of a checkbox in the UI (it flips immediately to 3D).

§  The “Z” coo

§  rdinate can be selected from any suitable value datasource. So it is quite possible to use e.g temperature data as z-value for an NDVI map, or a dem for a precipitation map.

§  Also works in all animations

§  Basic lighting conditions (“the sun”).

·         New Domain : Time

o   Time is now an integral concept in ILWIS. I use it in the new stuff (spatial temporal stuff).

·         Few new applications

o   Change detection (simple)

o   Time detection

o   Tracking

·         ILWIS server ( some of these maybe postponed until after 3.8, though the basics do work)

o   ILWIS as a simple WPS server

o   ILWIS as a simple WMS server for ILWIS data

o   Auto update functionality

·         Help System

o   The help files are now accessible html files in a separate folder  with ILWIS. Extending the help files is not my main goal (I simply don’t have the time, nor the talent for it). But other can now

·         New “Language” system

o   Though it was already possible to translate ILWIS without needing to recompile ILWIS it had some draw-backs that I have solved with a new system.

·         Bugs solved (ofc).

Undoubtedly I have forgotten a few points as the list is rather long.

Ok, now the big question. When?

My guess is that in about 2 months I will make a beta. It will probably be feature complete though bugs will undoubtedly be there. At the moment the only big things that I still have to do is on-screen digitizing ( half done I guess) and printing (didn’t do anything there yet). The rest of the features(see above), do work (apart from some bugs) and its probably only mopping up the bugs that needs to be done.

I hope you understand why maybe a YouTube video would be better J.

Martin Schouwenburg

[hidden email]

From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of César Capinha
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2011 12:32 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Ilwis] (no subject)

Just curious on how it goes the development of the new 3.8 version...

I'm looking forward to have some of the features being implemented in this version…

Cheers and keep up the good work,

César

Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
University of Twente
Chamber of Commerce: 501305360000

E-mail disclaimer
The information in this e-mail, including any attachments, is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action in relation to the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please delete the message and any attachment and inform the sender by return e-mail. ITC accepts no liability for any error or omission in the message content or for damage of any kind that may arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

http://ilwis.forum.52north.org